2013-10-03

Indian Agriculture - Day 1

So, with regards to my preparation, I decided to start with Indian Agriculture of GS 3rd paper. These are the topics and today I'll start with the last topic, Land Reforms in India. I hope to finish this by today.

1) Major crops cropping patterns in various parts of the country, different types of irrigation and irrigation systems; storage, transport and marketing of agricultural produce and issues and related constraints; e-technology in the aid of farmers

2) Issues related to direct and indirect farm subsidies and minimum support prices; Public Distribution System- objectives, functioning, limitations, revamping; issues of buffer stocks and food security; Technology missions; economics of animal-rearing.

3) Food processing and related industries in India- scope and significance, location, upstream and downstream requirements, supply chain management.

4) Land reforms in India.


And, I didn't see yesterday's Champions League matches. The match between Real and Copenhagen was telecasted on Ten HD network and we do not get that channel. So, for a short while I watched City vs Bayern match, but then decided to call it a day and went to sleep. Bayern won against City comfortably at Etihad stadium. Then surprisingly Juventus could only drew with Galatasaray. And Real Madrid won 4-0. I read the match report that Carlo Ancelotti adopted the 4-3-3 formation and that the team adopted well. But how quick we pass and move, how well we play this possession style can only be found against quality opponents.

Pretty much, that's it. I hope by tomorrow I complete the topic 'Land reforms in India'. One more thing, as I finished Right Ho, Jeeves, I started another book - The Difficulty of Being Good. It's a book that takes the story of the Sanskrit epic Mahabharata and analyses the right or wrong of some important situations that happen in the story. I've read the introduction of the book and the author, Gurucharan Das, gave us the context of writing this book. Prosperity had indeed begun to spread across India but goodness hasn't. He cites examples of the ills that as a society we face - corruption, criminalisation of politics, lack of empathy among people. While social scientists think governance failure as a problem of the institutions, he argues that these failings also have a moral dimension to it. It is in this context, he wrote this book - To be able to recover a meaningful ideal of civic virtue from India’s foundational text? So, in free time I will read this book. Hopefully, this helps my preparation regarding GS Paper IV Ethics, Integrity and Aptitude.

Later...

No comments:

Post a Comment